2
Asked by lostsoul12 - 5 years ago
i have been using afrin for 3 years. when i try to stop my nose swells up and i can't breath at all. what can i do?
All Answers
Sort By
Show
Sparky5458 Level 63 / Retired Golfer
-
I use Ipratropium Bromide 0.06 %. No problems with it but it is very expensive and requires a script.
worriedsick Level 37 / R.T.(R)(M), BS
2
That is one tough item to kick. I get it... I had the same problem. I had a friend who is a nurse tell me to try a netti pot. You can find that in the drug store where they sell the saline rinses... right by the Afrin.

The first few days will be rough. As often as you can discretely use it, take the pot, fill it with water and add the salt/baking soda mixture and run it through your nostrils. The instructions come with the product. Keep pouring until it comes out of the other nostril. Then do the other one. The pressure of the water will help force the nasal passage open again. This also helps to rinse out all the irritants that caused you to use the Afrin to begin with. In time, the mucosa in your nostrils will recover and you will not need Afrin anymore.

If you still have some congestion at night, use the Breatheright strips. They really help, too.
Compliments from
DrPVSuglia Level 6 / Holistic Physician
1
I suffered with that exact same problem back in the early 80s. From 1984 until 1986 I was addicted to Afrin, and it was the only nasal spray that helped me. It wasn't until I went to a chiropractor during the summer of 86 that my nasal passages finally cleared up once and for all. I was able to stop using Afrin, and the chiropractor saved me from undergoing a D & C sinus surgery. You should look into paying a visit to a chiropractor.
Compliments from
Kaytee1965 Level 1
1
Immediately switch to Vicks Sinex 12 hour spray. I had the same problem 4 years ago with an 8 yr. addiction to Afrin. Trust me. Vicks is non-addicting and you will be able to breathe better, sooner and with out the aid of the Vicks in no time at all.
Source Personal
Compliments from