2
Asked by woody84 - 4 years ago
All Answers
Sort By
Show
tbrucenyc Level 31 / Recording Engineer retired
1
By supporting and respecting diversity and different cultures and values
Compliments from
yarakha Level 1
-
Understand that there are "good"reasons for interrupting different cultures and mores and "real" reasons. Racism begins by looking at all people as the same...NO. Some people are rotten and no damn good regardless of race,ethnicity, etc. You must look into the person's soul behind the mask and disguise of skin color, religion, and ethnicity. Basically the human race is flawed, it is only through cultivation and learning that humans become less destructive and bad intentioned/self centered. Refer to books such as "Lord of the Flies", "The Teachings of Confucius", "The Old and New Testament", Lao'tzi, etc....any book on Psych. and human behavior. Watch the news!
Source Observation and travel around the world
adw61 Level 55 / Writer
-
This isn't as hard as it sounds, nor is it as comlicated as we tend to make it.
The best way to respect diversity is to understand one simple concept:
99.9% of other peoples lives, choices, beliefs and traditions are none of your business.
Think of it this way. Would you want anyone telling you that you are practicing the wrong religion? Would you want a gay person telling you they have the right to prevent you from loving or marrying the person of your choice? Do you want people who's skin color differs from yours treating you like a second or third class citizen?
It all goes back to something Jesus said: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." He also said to "love your neighbor as you love yourself."
He never said, 'unless they differ from you in some way that makes you uncomfortable. Then it's okay to treat them like crap.' He just said 'do it.'
As long as you do these two things when dealing with anyone, the respect for their culture and diversity will take care of itself.
pennypigmassie Level 2
-
The same way one would support and respct you.Remeber that everyones reallity is only thier perception of thier world in which they live in.So, you live in in the USA. Thats all you no. Someone else lives in Iran. Thats all they no. How can hate simply because of where we had the fortune or misfortune of being placed on this planet at birth. What I mean by thier perception of thier world around them is, its real! Ugly as it might be to us, that's all they live. Day in and day out. You can learn alot from other people from around the world. The one thing that I have sensed from every person not from this country is, to be very greatful for what you have. Small as you might think it is. It is a big deal to someone in a third world country. Not all people are bad. I truly believe that. For me, I love to learn about different cultures. It helps me love my country more.