0
Asked by mcpl70 - 6 years ago
I am a safety officer from Canada and i was asked a rather strange question from one of the workers " Can safety glasses damage eyes from prolonged use".
I have always informed workers of the dangers of not wearing them and never gave much thought to wearing them too much never mind the thought of damage resulting from wearing them.
All Answers
Sort By
Show
Jeff Level 5 / Banker
-
Other than most not having UV protection, they can not harm you.
smohpal Level 22 / ENGINEER
1
Yes it can since every glass has some kind of power and prolonged use of these safety glasses may adjust your natural focal length of eyes according to combined focal point of glass & your eyes.

Also, if these glasses have any defects and if they are scatched then they may be more harmful in longer run.
Compliments from
oosgood Level 1
1
SAFETY GOGLES OR GLASSES ARE THERE FOR YOUR PROTECTION! i have worked on a buildin site for years and safety goggles have saved me from sight damage on many occasions.The only time they can do damage is if they are not designed to proper use ie.using normal goggles for grinding and cutting when you should use high impact safety goggles.If your safety goggles are scratched or damaged get new ones.They are just like people with different sightage having prescription glasses for everyday use.AGAIN SAFETY GOGGLES WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR EYESIGHT JUST BLUR YOUR VISION IF SCRATCHED OR DIRTY-IF THAT IS THE CASE REPLACE THEM
Compliments from
clivewall Level 1
1
Every one I have spoken with that has been forced to wear safety glasses on sites have informed me that their eyesight has deteriorated, that goes for me also. I have been wearing them all day 7 days a week, being forced to wear them even when there is no danger to my eyes. As a consequence my eyesight has worsened, before I started wearing safety glasses I could read a news paper, now cannot read a news paper without glasses, those safety glasses have definitely permanently damage my eyesight. I asked an optician and he said yes they will damage you eyes in time, if you have to wear them 10 hours a day 7 days a week then your focus will be effected by them.

This is a very serious problem that needs addressing, the HSE are making rules about something they will never experience, it is stupidity on their part to make rules that have not been tested scientifically, over years these safety glasses are going to cause a lot of damage to tradesmen’s eyes. It is going to be another Asbestos story, if we knew then what we know now thousands of people would be alive, and my last comment on all this is when you effect the eyes of a worker you endanger his life and the lives of those working around him, so the forceful wearing of safety glasses is only making site work more dangerous for us all, they impede your peripheral vision also.

Clive Wall
Compliments from
psmith9339 Level 1
1
I do believe they can. I work in auto stamping and have to wear them all the time and I have found my eyes are deteriorated more than they should be considering all other aspects of my health and when I take some time off, I notice improvements in my vision, although not back to the level they should be. I would like to see this question answered by someone medically qualified, not a safety officer or other person with no knowledge of optics. Anything that can affect your focal point will induce changes to the natural structure. I hope someday I get to sue the ass of some jack ass politician who gets to make all the stupid rules we have to follow. I have no problem wearing them when the situation calls for it but I have a big problem wearing them "just because"
Compliments from
drt03 Level 1
1
I'm made to wear them everyday and get bad headaches from it, I believe in wearing them whilst drilling and cutting but to be made to wear them 12 hrs daily on a building site surrounded by trip hazards is far more dangerous, I'm a electrician and work on boards which potential is a danger to life and to connect up boards whilst half sighted is a danger to all.. It needs looking at as I don't believe long term affects have been looked at..
Compliments from
NickePicke Level 1 / Construction Site Manager
-
If you read the safety data sheets that comes with the spectacles it will say if they are good for continious use or not. Most are. There has been extensive research done by companies such as Bolle' etc showing no long term effect on wearing the right safety spectacles. It would be interesting to see what research shows anything different. It will also take your eyes 15-20 seconds to readjust when you put on or take off any specs, so as most people not happy with wearing specs take them off as soon as they get a chance they will spend their day being dizzy. If you don't like wearing your specs ask yourself, Am I using the right specs? Are they scratched? Am I just wasting someones time by moaning about it?..
Source commonsense.com
posidriver Level 1
Answered 1 year ago
-
Anybody that says they don't is an idiot. Yes they do. My eyes are worsening at an alarming rate and it started within six months of working on various sites run by the usual protagonists (balfour beatty, laing, sdc, wates, bam). I have had times when i have stumbled to the floor after finishing my shift and taken these dangerous things off. The points system that builders use to gain the next contract puts workers in harmfull situations. I hate the industry now and everything that the safety officers have done to it. Shameful.