1. Attending – body faces speaker, shoulders leaning forward, open and relaxed posture, good eye contact, non-distracting environment, psychological attention, limited interruptions.
2. Reflective Listening – reflects back to speaker, in listener’s own words, what has just been said. To “mirror” the speaker, for example, “What I hear you saying is….”
3. Paraphrasing – concise response which states the essence of the content, in the listener’s own words.
4. Reflecting Feelings – effectively “hearing” the feelings of another person. To put into words what the feelings that are being expressed. For example, “It sounds as if you are angry about what happened….”
5. Reflecting Meaning – reflecting back some notion of the meaning being expressed by the other person. For example, “Because you didn’t win the election, you believe the group doesn’t consider you an effective leader?”
Ears, eyes, experience, emotion, expectation
Please remember to select a best answer button to resolve the question to your advantage.