10
Asked by Bugsey7 - 2 years ago
Okay, so I want to get my Masters in Psychology at Columbia University, NYC, NY. I'm still a Junior in High-School, though. I'm just looking because I want to know what requirements are for admissions, but I'm confused with all of this undergraduate and graduate stuff.
This is the Graduate site: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsas/departme...
This is the Undergrad site: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/de...
I'm confused... do I need to go through an undergrad program before a graduate program? Or, can I enter a graduate program right away. I just need to know the differences.
Thanks!
Additional Details added 2 years ago
Thank you for your answers.
For clarification: I don't have *one* specific field of Psychology chosen to study. However, I am interested in Social Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Bio-Psychology, and Abnormal Psychology.
I will consult an adviser at the college as recommended. If anyone has anything else to add, please do.
Best Answer
Richard Level 76 / Retired Dentist
1
To get into Columbia University you will need two teacher recommendations.
Must take SAT or possibly ACT.
Better have a 3.8 grade point average or better. A 3.6 will not do. They look most carefully at this.
Better have extra curricular activities. These should be of good quality.
See
http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/a...

You enter as University College. Later you declare Psychology as your major. After graduating from college, then you apply to graduate schools for your masters. Masters in psychology are a dime a dozen. You may luck out and get a job, but better plan on getting your doctorate after your masters. Then you have something good.
Additional Details added 2 years ago
Now is the time to start thinking about where you want to go.
Do not worry about what type of psychology you want to study right now. When you are accepted to a university that is the time to spend planning your courses.
Compliments from
Best Answer Comment from Asker
From Bugsey7 2 years ago
Thank you very much(:
All Answers
Sort By
Show
scott1928 Level 36 / Minister
5
Your undergraduate program pertains to graduating from a 4-year college or university with either a BA or BS degree. The Masters program means that you will be concentrating only on your chosen field. In this case, Psychology.

To prepare you for taking college Psychology courses, you'll need to take, at the high school level, basic classes such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and several math classes. Biology and chemistry play a huge role in psychology. In fact, in order to understand someone's behavior, you must understand their brain functioning. Your school counselor should be able to guide you in this area.

There is one other important thing to remember: Psychology is a very broad field. If you want to pursue a Psychology degree, you really need to decide which area of study that you need to focus on. There are several areas, such as Clinical Psychology, Psychoanalysis, or Behavioral Psychology, to name a few.
Additional Details added 2 years ago
As far as requirements are concerned, they will vary depending upon which area of study that you've chosen.
Compliments from
RMark Level 26 / Project Manager
3
Send a e-mail to one of the academic advisers and full them in on your goals.Better yet, save yourself the headache of endlessly searching for what's still new to yea, by stopping by for a few minutes of face-time during your Christmas break. You can look at there academic calender for when the staff will be available. The holiday break would be a good time because they signing up for Spring classes, so they will have some time for yea. After 15 minutes, you'll have your whole degree planned out and info you need.
http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/c...

In some cases you, can start taking college courses as a Junior in High-School. These classes are mostly perquisites subjects, but they have to be taken by all. Not to many know about it, but those who do typically start taking a few online and summer classes. By the time graduate from HS you'll be entering your third year in collage. Three years after that you could have your masters at 21 or phd at 22-23.

You'll be surprised how happy and assisting advisers are when one knows what they want to study.
Compliments from