11
Asked by Bugsey7 - 2 years ago
Alright so I've asked previous questions about school and whatnot, but right now (as stated before) I am doing online high school and I'm taking 6 classes (you can only take up to 7 but they put me in 6 as a new student).
My grades so far are:
Algebra 2 -63.37%
Chemistry -66.84%
English 3 -63.92%
Gothic Literature: Monster Stories -61.37%
Physical Education-89.29%
World History - 87.42%
I want to be a Psychologist so I want to go to a good school, these grades just won't cut it. I'm a Junior and next year I'm only required to take 4 credits because this year I have all the core classes I need and now I just need to take electives.
I'm wondering if my grades at this specific moment will affect my getting into a good college? I'm trying so hard to get them up, but it's difficult for me so I'm taking this whole winter break (2 weeks) to just crank it out and get a ton of work done. Would it help my chances if I took more classes next year besides what I need?
Additional Details added 2 years ago
Also, next semester I'm taking:
Chemistry
English 3
PE
World Religions
Psychology
Criminology
I plan on passing next semester with outstanding grades. I am going to work my butt off.
Best Answer
Richard Level 77 / Retired Dentist
3
Taking psychology in high school is a waste of time. In your case maybe you will like it.

The main thing to learn in high school chemistry is to spell the elements. That is valuable. I am not kidding.

You do not need to take physics in high school, but you will take it in college. You need the math skills to pass it. You should have trig and solid just for the math practice.

Your plan at this point is to attend the nearest small junior college. You need to prove yourself as a college student. Do pick out a university in your state that you would like to attend and make sure what you take in junior college meshes with their degree plan.

It does not make a lot of difference in psychology where you got your degree. Maybe you will be a standout student in college and can get into a big time masters program.

Take what you need to graduate and try to do good on those courses.
You will take English 4 next year. Make an A.
Compliments from
All Answers
Sort By
Show
Sparky5458 Level 63 / Retired Golfer
4
From my observation of your CURRENT grades is that if you don't do a lot better you may qualify for a mop & a broom at a U S Post office someplace making only $40,000 a year.
Compliments from
scott1928 Level 36 / Minister
6
GOOD college? Based on your grades so far, you can't even get into a BAD college. As for the Psychology degree, you will definitely need to work your 'butt' off, because, as I answered before in one of your previous questions, you need to prepare NOW for taking college Psychology courses. You'll need to take, basic classes such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and several math classes. Biology and chemistry play a huge role in psychology. Now, you need to concentrate more on those subjects that pertain to Psychology. You shouldn't let your grades drop in the other courses, naturally, but you really need to keep all of your math and science grades above a B average.
Compliments from
Gumboy Level 55 / fun guy
4
I would recommend working harder on A.C.E. (alg, chem, eng), dropping
goth lit, and maintaining current pe and hist. grades.
Compliments from
labarca Level 66
7
Online or in a brick and mortar school you should
have access to a councilor. This person is trained to
deal with this. Make use of this asset.
Additional Details added 2 years ago
"counselor"
Compliments from
joensf Level 80
4
there is a definite difference between psychology and psychiatry. you don't need great math and chemistry for psychology you would not be a medical doctor.

see core courses for

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/de...

http://www.desu.edu/curriculum-bachelors...

Compliments from
RMark Level 26 / Project Manager
4
You don't want to add more classes because you failed your current classes; that just doesn't show any good reasoning! In fact, your scenario has changed, so you have to make adjustments in how you proceed with accomplishing your goals.

Note that you only add a class, or two, when you've proven you can handle the load. From the looks of it, you haven't even Aced physical education, but you want to tackle an even more difficult semester??

You should know that you can get a masters degree in Psychology, online, without ever setting foot on a campus. This degrees dose not add up to much. Most end up working in sales, rather than their field of study because the only jobs that will employ them are with the department of corrections.

Just look for yourself at the high amount of vacancies for staff psychologists. No one wants to work there because they have to listen, 8 hours of the day, to cons trying to b.s. the system.
http://osp.its.state.nc.us/jobtitlesearc...

You need to narrow down your goals, instead on focusing 5, 6, 7 years into your future program of study. Just try Acing Physical Education & Chemistry before you plan to clinically diagnose a persons mental stability.
Compliments from