• surfers - 'The "social energy" this subculture possesses, help to
make surfing such a unique experience.'
1.Affiliation: need to fit into a group committed to surfing 'as a
way of life'.
2. Language: use a special vocabulary of surfing words
3. Acceptance: membership status comes from skills at surfing
proficiency and board handling.
4. Looking the part (identifiers): Active surfers are
characterized by shaggy, sun-bleached hair that does not quite
reach their shoulders.
Search an article (it's ginormous) as it has many more characteristics
found in this study...
• youths - "Youth subculture is a youth-based subculture with distinct
styles, behaviors, and interests.'
1. Affiliation: Youth subcultures that show a systematic hostility to the
dominant culture are sometimes described as countercultures.
2. Language, etc (identifiers): Youth music genres are associated
with many youth subcultures, such as punks, emos, ravers, Juggalos,
metalheads and goths.
Subcultures may also be seen as extensions of crowds.