0
Asked by cngunnell74 - 4 years ago
Best Answer
Richard Level 75 / Retired Dentist
-
Exodus 33:20 & John 1:18 read that no man has seen God or can see God and live.
But:
Genesis 1:8-10
"And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself."

So at the very beginning of the Bible God and Jesus are speaking to Adam in person. Think about it, God and Jesus would have had to have been present or else Adam and Eve wouldn't have hid themselves.

Genesis 17:1-4
"And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations."

God appeared in person to Abram and established the Abrahamic covenant. Later in the chapter is says The two were most likely face to face because later in the chapter Abraham fell to the floor as he responded.

Genesis 32:30
"And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."

Jacob, now known as Israel, is rejoiced because he spoke with God face to face and lived. So it is obviously possible.

Exodus 24:10-11
"And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink."

Seventy elders of Israel saw a head-to-toe Jesus and Heavenly Father, and not only did they not die, they ate and drank.

Exodus 33:11
"And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle."

So not only did Moses see God, they carried on a dialogue, speaking face to face like friends.

Deuteronomy 5:4
"The Lord talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,"

Moses is about to tell the Israelites about him receiving the commandments from God. In his address he gives a little more information on what happened on the mountain top when he spoke with the "burning bush". Moses states that he actually spoke with God face to face once again. He was looking at the face of God inside the burning bush as they spoke.

Kings 11:9
"And the Lord was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the Lord God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,"

This verse teaches that Jehovah appeared to King Solomon twice. Unfortunately that didn't stop Solomon from committing idolatry. For a wise man, Solomon was sure stupid. Seeing God twice and still apostatizing, that's nuts!
You are here: Philosophy >> Learn More About The Existence of God! >> Has Anyone Ever Seen God

Has anyone ever seen God?

According to the accounts of the Bible, no one has ever looked on God’s face, for God Himself says “But, you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live” (Exodus 33:20). It is not only for the sinful man that He says this but also for the believers in Jesus Christ.

Moses asked this of God and God answered that He would show him His Glory. The Hebrew word for glory in this verse is ‘Kabowd’ meaning the culmination of God’s goodness and sovereignty.

Can this Divine Spirit be seen as men see each other? Our eyes are not created to see the spiritual things of this world. Our bodies cannot withstand to behold the awesomeness of God. Surely the Creator who made the whole universe is beyond our ability to envision.

Has anyone ever seen the Image of God? God has revealed Himself to many of the Old Testament characters but in diverse manifestations: Adam, Gen 3:8-21; Jacob, at Bethel in Genesis 35:7, 9; Abraham, Gen 18:2-33; Israel in Judges 2:1-5; Gideon in Judges 6:11-24; Solomon in 1 Kings 3:5, Isaiah 6:1-5, Ezekiel 1:26-28.

In Numbers 12:8, God speaks of Moses saying, “With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the Lord.” Moses saw God as much as he was able with earthly eyes.

Paul states in the New Testament, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known” (1 Corinthians 13:12, KJV).

Our human limitations will be transformed when we enter the Kingdom of heaven if we believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Then, we shall see God.

Acts 7:55-56
"But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God."

Stephen is about to be stoned to death for proclaiming his testimony of the gospel of Christ. Before he dies, he looks into heaven and sees both Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, standing next to each other. Now in this case Stephen did die after seeing them, but the death was due to him being pummeled by rocks, not seeing The Godhead.

Many theologians interpret these sightings as angels. There is some justification for this, but often it is hard to understand.
All Answers
Sort By
Show
dman999914 Level 8
Answered 1 year ago
-
IN THE BIBLE..A FEW. IN ACTUALITY..NONE, SINCE GOD IS NON-EXISTENT.