500
Asked by dcap25 - 7 years ago
I am transferring for work and do not want to sell my house. I also do not trust anyone living in it while I am gone. Any tips on what to do before I leave.
Best Answer
Richard Level 76 / Retired Dentist
-
Stop all deliveries such as mail and newspapers -- this is a very simple thing to do, but it is frequently overlooked by homeowners. When they're gone papers pile up indicating that no one has been home for a while.

Set indoor and outdoor lights and even TVs on timers to come on and light up rooms of your home and exterior surroundings. Nothing says nobody is home like a dark house. A television or radio that's set to come on periodically makes anyone lurking around think that someone is home.

Turn down the telephone ringer on your phone and the volume on your answering machine.

Unplug automatic garage door openers. Burglars can sometimes figure out the code and gain easy access to your home. Also lock any doors from the garage that give access to the house.

Do not close all the blinds, shutters or curtains; leaving them partially open gives an everyday-lived-in look.

If you have a willing neighbor, ask him to occasionally park in your driveway. Burglars will often survey a home at different times and on different days to study traffic patterns.

Keep your landscaped trimmed back. Overgrown trees and shrubs are not only a fire hazard but also a great hiding spot for burglars. While you're gone have a gardener maintain the landscape.

Install extra safety fastening devices on sliding doors, windows and other openings.

Use your security system. If you don't have one, buy one. A good security alarm system that is connected to a dispatch center usually will qualify you for a discount on your homeowner's insurance.

Put a "beware of dog" sign on your fence; even if you don't have a dog, this can be a good deterrent.

Never leave a key under the mat, in a nearby planter, etc. -- or any other common, well-known hiding places. Many burglars don't have to force entry into a home; instead they enter through open/unlocked doors and windows or even with a key, if it's left out for them!

The vital element to keeping your home burglar proof is making it as difficult as possible to break into. Burglars look for easy targets -- leaving a home unattended for a long period of time can put your house in the easy-target category. However, if you take precautions to secure your home before you leave, you'll have greater success keeping a burglar out of your house.
All Answers
Sort By
Show
Jess Level 9
-
When leaving a house unattended, make sure you have a neighbour/friend/family member that will be able to check your house after you leave.

Make sure you throw away food from the fridge and you can also turn off the fridge power, water, etc.

Tell him/her to check the house every few days, get the mail, feed the pet, check that all the windows/doors are closed, that nothing is out of place, etc.

Tell him/her to check your house around 8PM - 10PM so that when he/she leaves, he/she can leave the lights on so that it looks like someone is home. Or you can easily buy those timers where they attach to lights and will turn the lights on automatically.
theman Level 6 / I am the Man
-
The other answers have some great suggestions so I only have one thing to add.

Since you live in Philadelphia where the winters can be harsh, make sure someone has access to your house and make sure they leave the heaters on at the minimum setting so that your house doesn't freeze. You should also make sure that any external faucets or pipes are covered correctly to ensure that they don't freeze and burst.

Oh, one other thing. Make sure that all of your bills are paid automatically through credit cards or your bank account. If you're going to be away for six months, make sure someone can collect and open your important mail such as any car registration and insurance renewal notices, property tax bills, etc.

Also, you might want to consider moving all of your items into storage and then renting the house for six months. You'll generate some income and when you return, you can always use the empty house as an excuse to do some remodeling before you move back in.
shirleykells Level 1
-
I'm from Tennessee. My company requires a temporary transfer to California last month. With a local number on my phone all calls are forwarded on my temporary local number in my flat in California. That is one suggestion I can give you for your telephone.

You can install a surveillance camera that can be controlled online. This way you can monitor what is happening in and around your house with a click of a mouse.