0
Asked by g_raf77 - 5 years ago
Thinking of moving to Nevada, need to know how I can deter scorpions from entering my home. I know about the no trash and clutter thing, but saw on the movie, " A Good Year", they used dried lavender to keep away scorpions. Does this really work? And what about snakes? Is it common for poisonous snakes to be found in communities or more so outside in more rural areas? Been searching the internet everywhere to get answers, not finding anything but stuff that's scaring me further. Maybe I'll forget sunshine all year round and stay in Ohio. Read about a woman saying she woke up to a scorpion falling from the ceiling and stinging her. I don't think I'll be able to handle that. And I have kids to think about.
Best Answer
worriedsick Level 37 / R.T.(R)(M), BS
-
There are 2 kinds of lavender:

True lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)

Spike lavender (Lavandula latifolia)

In the herbal/folk tradition, true lavender listed as being used as an insect repellent. Spike lavender appears it might work as well, but there is nothing that specifically says that it will work as well. If you can obtain good, fresh lavender, then just laying it in the path of the scorpions might do the trick, but it's hard to get good quality fresh herbs unless you grow your own .

You should be able to find Lavender essential oil pretty easily though - try the health food store. The oil is the repellent part anyway, and it's easier to smear a little oil around rather than have herbs strewn at your doorway...though it would make for interesting conversation when guests arrive at your door .

Rosemary is in the same family as lavender (family: Lamiaceae), and rosemary is well used in gardens to repel insects, so the lavender connection makes some sense .
Source www.city_data.com
All Answers
Sort By
Show
EliMeir27 Level 1
Answered 1 year ago
-
For what its worth,

in 2009 i sent 5 bags of real lavender to a scientist in Pheonix Arizona to test them using the scientific method.

The scientist there who specializes in Familia: Scorpionidae(arachnid) took the 5 bags of lavender and conducted a test on 200 different species. out of the 200 species, 2 species were marginally annoyed, but the other 198 species, including some of the larger versions, actually sat on top of the lavender like it was their home.

now i also did my own study on a couple local scorpions in south Texas. but it was NOT an official scientific study. just a quick test. in a plastic tub i put the lavender and scorpion in together. the scorpion would go away from the lavender IF there was something else to hide under, but if there was nothing else to hide under, the scorpion would rather hide under the lavender rather than be exposed in the open( to predators?).

but considering that peoples health and possibly lives are at stake, i am not going to tell people that lavender repels scorpions. be careful of so called "wives tales" and or conclusions based on pride,emotion, or whatever.
Source a test conducted at a University in Phoenix, Arizona.