0
Asked by cinwagon - 5 years ago
THE POEM GOES REMEMBER ME WITH SMILE AND LAUGHTER
FOR THAT IS HOW I WILL REMEMBER YOU ALL
IF YOU CANT REMEMBER ME WITH LAUGHTER
THEN DONT REMEMBER ME AT ALL
I REMEMBER IT FROM HIGH SCHOOL LITERATURE BUT THE WEB SAYS MICHAEL LANDON WROTE IT - I DONT THINK SO
Additional Details added 5 years ago
Further research shows that it is an old irish remembrance poem - but I am still looking for the author. Michael Landon may have used it in his script, but he is not the original author. I remember reading it in a text book in high school. So all those people who think he wrote it just because he used it in his script are wrong...
Additional Details added 5 years ago
Still would love more info... Thanks
Additional Details added 5 years ago
still would like more info - I remember reading this in a high school litereature book back in the early 70's
Additional Details added 5 years ago
still hoping for more answers
Best Answer
dtoombs Level 2 / teacher
1
I have researched quite thoroughly, and it does seem a bit controversial. Michael Landon (writer of the TV series 'Little House on the Prairie') and Laura Ingalls Wilder (writer of the original book) seem to be the two contenders for the title of author for this poem, which goes "Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all."

I haven't read the original book, but I guess if the poem is there, then Laura wrote it, and if not, or if not quite in that form, then Michael did (possibly based on a quote from the book).

I did read on one website that Melissa Gilbert, who played Laura in the TV series, read out the poem at Michael Landon's funeral.
Additional Details added 5 years ago
I've researched a bit further, using your added bit of information, and I think that the real answer is 'author unknown'. I did find it listed as such on a remembrance poem website. Most other places I've found it list Laura Ingalls Wilder as the author, if they list an author at all. I don't have a copy of the original book, but if I come across one I'll have a look & see how it is represented there. I suspect that the only sources that list Michael Landon as the author are Little House on the Prairie sources, which list him as such because he wrote the television series, not the book. If I find out more while this question is open, I'll let you know.
Compliments from
All Answers
Sort By
Show
Damian22 Level 13 / Share/Invester
-
"Remember Me" was a Eulogy Poem from an episode of "little House on the Prairie" cannot find author, may quite well have been written by Michael Landon.
kc5255 Level 38 / Out of the Workforce
-
Little House On The Prarie Remember Me the name of the episode. The children that Edwards adopts mother has just died. She has left a little quote for Rev. Alden to read at her funeral. It was my Dad's favorite and we read it at his funeral. "Remember me with smiles and laughter; for that's how I'll remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears; then don't remember me at all."

Little House On the Prarie Television series were surrounded by a little girl (Laura Ingalls) life. The excerpt that you mentioned is a "quote" not a poem. It was stated in one of her Ms. Ingalls storybooks...don't recall which book.

However if you need validation of this quote, you should the Library of Congress. I'm quite sure this office would be able to assist you.

The quote was used at Michael Landon's funeral. He's not the author.

By the way, there's a "little house forum " that you address this too
Click
http://community.hallmarkchannel.com/ser...
MsDeb Level 3 / Insurance Broker/Homemaker
1
I do remember that poem on an episode of "Little House". Maybe Michael Landon did write it. He was a very talented and loved man.
Compliments from
gwlhjkp8 Level 1
1
It is Michael landon.. I have a little house on the prairie book, and they were talking about that episode. Michael landon wrote the poem for the episode. As well as most everyones lines... When he died Melissa Gilbert (laura) read it at his funeral, becuase he wrote it. Remember me with smiles and laughter, because that is how i will remember you all, remember me with tears, then do not remember me at all.. :)
Source little house on the prairie book
Compliments from
-
One of the most vital factor is to enjoy your lifetime : to always be satisfied . . . it's just about all that counts.

-- We react almost like coziness and luxury have been the principle necessities of everyday living, when the only thing that most people have to have to actually be joyful is undoubtedly some thing to get keen about