0
Asked by jamitch52 - 6 years ago
Was hit n the mouth with an object, now my lip seems to not want to go down. Should I be using heat or cold treatment?
Best Answer
Richard Level 76 / Retired Dentist
-
Apply a cold pack to the lip as soon as possible and within 15 minutes of the injury. Keep the cold pack on for 10 minutes at a time. Take it off for 30 to 60 minutes. The purpose if this is to reduce injury from the swelling. Some say you can apply cold for 2 days. I think if it is not swelling more, then no cold. After the initial swelling, applying cold will reduce the blood flow to the area and slow healing.
Rest the lip. No kissing. Am I kidding? Only partly. This is a general principle for swollen areas from trauma, like being hit.
Two days after the injury, use warm compresses. Do this for 20 minutes at a time. Maybe even earlier. This increases the blood flow to the area and promotes healing.
Try to avoid hitting the lip again. This may seem obvious, but you will be surprised how often you will hit a swollen area again and again.